Tags

, , , ,


Back in 2000 I was trying to teach myself Microsoft Access databases. In order to do this I needed a project that included various tables and forms.

At the same time I was reading the book, Building Believable Characters by Marc McCutcheon. The book is basically a book of lists, which meant I had my table data for the project!

Thus was born the Character Builder Tool, using an interface page and MS Access tables as the backend. In the years to follow, I found I wasn’t always on a computer that had MS Access.

In preparation for NaNoWriMo 2013, I needed to flesh out several of my characters, but couldn’t remember what I did with the book from 10+ years ago. I did remember my old project, but I also remembered I no longer know how to use MS Access. šŸ˜¦

This past weekend. . .

  • I ported the tables out to Excel. By moving it to Excel, a greater number of users can more easily expand the functionality and lists
  • Built a Main page tab with drop-down lists (i.e. row 15 for Belly, provides a list from the Physical List tab)
  • If printing, currently 4 characters fit to one-page wide
  • I started expanding outside the content of the book to include items such as race/ethnicity, types of homes, etc.

You can download this little project here if you want to mess with it.

Character Builder v1.3

No instructions provided. Just have fun with it.

More importantly keep writing!

Advertisements