My second pass at editing my non-fiction book is done!
It actually feels weird being able to say I have a completed second draft.
For my personality that likes the creative side more than the research side of writing, nearly all my notes for the 3rd (and hopefully final) draft are all research related. Whether it be reading the competition to see what items they have that I like and want to add to my book or chasing after experts to see if I can get them to read the book and give me a quote on the book, it all seems tedious and boring compared to writing run on sentences all day. 🙂
Overall my steps for the third draft, in no particular order:
- Read the competition and choose to add similar elements that I liked in their book
- Research cover design options
- Research Print-on-demand options
- Research possible publishers
- Research self-publishing options if the standard publishing route doesn’t pan out
- Find “experts” to add credibility
- Build out an index
- Build out the planned Appendix section
- Consider taking pictures and scans to add images throughout the book, making it more visually appealing
- Check formatting
Whew! Now I know why I haven’t been blogging much lately. . .a book project has a lot of steps.
Onward and upward!
Writing prompt #0044
Write about community service